Thursday, December 11, 2014

THE PEN IS MEEKER THAN THE SWORD AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE


Herbert Hoover's Secretary of State Henry L. Stimson famously issued the naive injunction stating that "gentlemen don't read each other's mail" but that was in an age before Gawker.

Today it is no great distinction to be hacked, exposed, appropriated, impersonated, outed, eavesdropped, photobombed, tagged or retweeted. The most egregious sin of the 21st century is to be deemed so inconsequential as to be ignored.

We trade these days in "clicks' and without a lot of them you might as well retreat to your rotary phone and your typewriter.

Or even worse, your pen.

Which brings me to the uncomfortable subject of my embarrassing ignorance.

Am I the last art critic to have written about the recently published Letters of Currado Malaspina Volume I 1970 - 1985? Damn! I didn't know that the guy even wrote letters! Who the hell writes letters anyway?!

Well, while I'm working on writing my review (the book is 900 hefty pages with footnotes) I'll have to leave you with this classic video (though I hadn't seen it myself until yesterday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment